What: We will be uprading all hypervisor hosts within the Canberra Government Cloud zone to XenServer 6.5 SP1.
Why: The upgrade is required to provide increased functionality and bug fixes. This newer version of XenServer provides the following enhancements:
- many architectural improvements which aim to improve overall performance and removes a number of scalability limitations found in XenServer 6.2
- 64-bit Control Domain Linux Kernel
- Xen Project Hypervisor v4.4
- In-memory Read Caching
- Support for Tapdisk3 delivers major improvements in the performance of concurrent disk access and a much larger total aggregate disk throughput
- Updated Open vSwitch v2.1.3 which supports megaflows
- Netback Thread per VIF increaseing the network throughput in individual VIFs
- vGPU Improvements
- Hardware support for the latest generation of CPUs, including Intel Haswell EP, Intel Ivy Bridge EX
- Newly Supported Guests and Introduction of LTS Guest Policy: Ubuntu 14.04, SLES 11 SP3 and SLES 12, CentOS 5.10, 5.11, 6.5, and 7.0, RedHat 5.10, 5.11, 6.5, and 7.0, Oracle Linux 5.10, 5.11, 6.5, and 7.0
- Enhanced Guest Support: Windows 10, RHEL 6.6 & 7.1, CentOS 6.6 & 7.1, Oracle Linux 6.6 & 7.1, Scientific Linux 5.11, 6.6, 7.0 & 7.1, SLED 11 SP3, CoreOS 633.1.0
- Oracle Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel (UEK) 6.x
- Intel GVT-d Pass Through for Windows
- NVIDIA GPU Pass Through to Linux VMs
- Improved Read Cache
- Container Management, Docker™ Integration
- More Resilient Hotfix & Service Pack Installation
- Support for Intel’s Haswell EX processor, enabling customers to use the latest generation of Intel’s server class processor
- Improved performance for the existing NVIDIA GRID vGPU solution
Full release notes can be found at:
When: Sunday March 13th 2016, 10am - 2pm AEDT
Impact: Customer VM instances will be live migrated between hypervisor hosts during the maintenance window.
Any VM instances that do not have XenServer Tools installed will be stopped to enable hypervisor servicing, and then be started on another hypervisor host. To avoid this, please ensure the latest version of XenServer Tools is installed prior to maintenance commencing.
We advise customers to update VM instances to the latest XenServer Tools version once maintenance is complete to ensure optimal performance and supportability of your enviornment.
Note: this maintenance activity does not impact customers with services hosted in the CloudCentral Enterprise Cloud.
If you have any questions please contact email@example.com